San Marco is one of the six district in Venice and it is situated in the centre of Venice and also includes the island of San Giorgio Maggiore.
It is a small district, however it is the most popular with tourists due to its many attractions. The Grand Canal is situated towards the north side of San Marco and it borders with Castello and Cannaregio to the east. It connects to the San Polo district by the Rialto Bridge and with Dorsoduro by the Academia Bridge.
The San Marco is the smallest district with only around 4200 residents due to the fact that it is mostly inhabited by tourists. It was built during the 9th century as a small square and was decorated with tree in front of the original Saint Mark which was part of the Doge's Palace until 1094. The square was divided from the palace with a small canal Rio Batario. As it became a small meeting area, the square was extended in 1174.
The main square is filled with history and surrounded by buildings of great architecture. What surely gains ones attention is the Saint Mark’s Basilica, a Byzantine church of the 15th century. There are government buildings as well as archaeology museums and the central library. Between the Doges Palace and the library is the Piazza San Marco a small square known for the two columns set up by the residents in order to honour the saints and protectors of the city, Saint Mark and Saint Theodore. The San Marco Square is the only Piazza while all the others are called Campi. This is also where executions took place until the middle of the 18th century.
Churches in San Marco
Saint Mark's Basilica
Santa Maria del Giglio