San Polo is one of the six districts in Venice. It is the smallest out of the six districts and it is situated within the upper curse of the Grand Canal. It is however one of the oldest parts in the city, and it received its name from the Church of San Polo. The residents believed it was a good location to settle in as the land was higher and therefore never flooded. The San Polo district neighbours with the Dorsoduro and Santa Croce districts.
Campo San Polo is the second largest square after the San Marco square. There is also an open-air cinema during the summer months. One of the main sites in San Polo is the Rialto Bridge which links the district with the eastern bank of the Grand Canal. The west part of the district is known for its churches, while the east is known for the Rialto area.The famous Rialto market around the Rialto Bridge has also existed since 1097 and attracts many tourists. Food stalls and souvenir stalls are located along the Grand Canal, enjoyed by tourists and locals alike.
Further down from the Rialto Bridge is the San Giacomo Church, which is also the oldest part of Venice, dated to 421. Next to it is the Pietra del bando, famous for its statue of the gobo – hunchback - where the sentences were read out. Other famous sites are the House of Goldoni the Franciscan church of Santa Maria dei Frari, the Scuola Grande di San Rocco and the House of Pesaro.
Main Sites in San Polo
Campo San Polo
Scuola Grande di San Rocco
House of Goldoni
The Fabbriche Nuove
Scuola Grande di S.Giovanni Evangelista
Ca’ Pesaro (International Gallery of Modern Art)