Error message

  • Warning: Undefined array key "und" in include() (line 35 of /home/eliasdem/visitingvenice.net/sites/all/themes/illusion/templates/node/nearby_places/node--view--nearby_places.tpl.php).
  • Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in include() (line 35 of /home/eliasdem/visitingvenice.net/sites/all/themes/illusion/templates/node/nearby_places/node--view--nearby_places.tpl.php).
  • Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in include() (line 35 of /home/eliasdem/visitingvenice.net/sites/all/themes/illusion/templates/node/nearby_places/node--view--nearby_places.tpl.php).
  • Warning: Undefined array key "und" in include() (line 35 of /home/eliasdem/visitingvenice.net/sites/all/themes/illusion/templates/node/nearby_places/node--view--nearby_places.tpl.php).
  • Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in include() (line 35 of /home/eliasdem/visitingvenice.net/sites/all/themes/illusion/templates/node/nearby_places/node--view--nearby_places.tpl.php).
  • Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in include() (line 35 of /home/eliasdem/visitingvenice.net/sites/all/themes/illusion/templates/node/nearby_places/node--view--nearby_places.tpl.php).

The Palazzo Santa Sofia, or the Ca’d’Oro as it is called,   is an ancient palace located in the Cannaregio district in Venice. The wealthy citizen and procurator Marino Contatini decided to build the most brilliant palazzo in Venice during 1420, and it was designed by the famous architect Giovanni Von and his son Bartolomeo. The Von family were well known architects of the Doge’s Palace and the Porta Della Carta.

The Ca’D’Oro as it called is one of the oldest palaces in the city and its name means golden house. The name is due to the fact that parts of its façade were covered with a golden edge creating a complicated polychrome. The particular building is considered to be the best known example of Venetian Gothic architecture in Venice. The idea that the building is situated on the Grand Canal makes it one of the most photographed buildings in the city. The ground floor is surrounded by columns and there is access through the canal. The main area of the palace is situated on the first floor and it decorated with wonderful arches. There is a small interior courtyard in the centre of the building, as it occurs with most palaces.

During the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797, the palace changed ownership many times. One of the owners of the palace, ballerina Maria Taglioni removed the stairway, the balconies that faced the courtyard, as well as sold the historical well and removed many pieces of marble from the building. The last owner of the palace was the Baron Giorgio Franchetti who rescued the building from the tampering mania that the previous owners had. In 1922 he then donated the palazzo the city of Venice. The interior part of the building was recently restores and the well was restored to the garden.

The Ca’d’Oro has been used as a museum since 1927.  Today it is open to the public as a gallery with the name Galleria Giorgio Franchetti and houses a remarkable collection of art which was owned by the Baron. The collection includes art from great Venetian and Tuscan artists. Among the most treasured pieces of art are the San Sebastiano by Andrea Mantegna and the Portrait of Marcello Durazzo by Antoon van Dyck.

 

Ca’ d’ Oro

Location:

Venice

Address:

Galleria G. Franchetti alla Ca’ d’Oro
Cannaregio 3932
30126 Venezia

Telephone:

39 (0)41 5222349

Fax:

39 (0)41 5238790

Website:

http://www.cadoro.org/?lang=en

Entrance Fee:

Full price ticket:  € 8,50 (+ € 1,50 as reservation fee) – Special full price ticket with closing of the second floor: € 6,50 (+ € 1,50 as reservation fee) 

Reduced price ticket:  € 6,50 (+ € 1,50 as reservation fee) (also for holders of ARTE CARD AREA)

Facilitated ticket:  € 2,00 (+ € 1,50 as reservation fee)

European citizens aged 18 to 25 with identification document

Free ticket:  € 0,00 (+ € 1,50 as reservation fee)

Minors of 18 years of any nationality, provided with a valid identity document. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult

Teachers and students of degree courses, postgraduate or post-graduate courses and research doctorates of the following faculties: Architecture, Conservation of Cultural Heritage, Education Sciences or Letters and Philosophy with an Archaeological or Historical-Artistic Address. The same facilities are allowed to faculty and faculty students or corresponding courses, established in the States of the European Union. Free admission is allowed to students by showing the enrollment certificate for the current academic year, to the teachers by showing a suitable document

Lecturers and students enrolled in the Academies of Fine Arts or corresponding institutes of the European Union, by showing the enrollment certificate for the current academic year

Teaching staff of the school, of role and with a fixed-term contract, by means of an exhibition of suitable certification issued by the educational institutions, on the model prepared by the MIUR, accompanied by a valid identity document

Operators of voluntary associations that carry out activities of dissemination / knowledge of Cultural Heritage

Staff of the Ministry of Heritage and Cultural Activities and Tourism

Members of the I.C.O.M. (International Council of Museums)

Handicapped people and their family member or other career who demonstrates their membership in social-health care services

Journalists in order with the payment of membership fees, by showing a suitable document proving the professional activity carried out

Tourist guides of the European Union in the exercise of their professional activity, by showing a valid license issued by the competent authority

Tourist interpreters of the European Union when their work is needed alongside the guide, by showing a valid license issued by the competent authority

For reasons of study, research attested by educational institutions or universities, academies, research institutes and culture of Italian or foreign, as well as organs of the Ministry, or for particular and motivated needs, the director of the Museum can allow free entry in the exhibition venues and for specific periods to those who request it

Free ticket: € 0,00 (+ € 7,00 as reservation fee for group)

Groups of students from public and private schools of the European Union, accompanied by their teachers, by reservation and in the quota established by the Museum’s director

Operating hours:

Monday: 9.00 am – 2.00 pm
Tuesday – Sunday: 9.00 am – 7.00 pm

Ca’ d’ Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia) photos: 
Ca' d'Oro
Ca' d'Oro
  • Ca' d'Oro
  • Ca' d'oro
  • venice ca'd'oro
  • ca'd'oro
  • ca'd'oro-venice
  • ca'd'oro
  • ca'd'oro venice italy
  • ca'd'oro venice
  • palazzo santa sofia
Ca’ d’ Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia) video: 
Ca’ d’ Oro (Palazzo Santa Sofia) location map: 

Nearby Places and things to do (within 5 km radius)

Ponte dei Sospiri (Bridge of Sighs)

The Bridge of Sighs or Ponte dei Sospiri in Italian is a is a romantic and iconic landmark in Venice.  This elegant bridge, shrouded in...

Palazzo Ducale (Doge's Palace)

The two most impressive buildings in Venice, the Saint Mark’s Basilica and the Doge’s Palace stand side by side in the Saint Mark’s Sq...

Ponte dell’Accademia (Accademia Bridge )

Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute (Santa Maria della Salute Church)

The Basilica of Santa Maria della Salute is situated in the district of Dorsoduro in Venice. More specifically it faces the Pallazo Ducale o...

Arsenale di Venezia (Venetian Arsenal)

Arsenale di Venezia (Venetian Arsenal) Location: Venice Address: ...

Chiesa di San Zaccaria (Church of San Zaccaria)

Pages